|Vegetarian Weekend 1
||[11th April, 2010|09:56 pm]
So, last week I just ate all the side vegetables served alongside Easter roasts and it was fine, but not all that satisfying for the palette. I'm trying to be vegetarian on the weekends and think Sundays are a good opportunity to try out new recipes too. I do just tend to cook with whatever I find in the fridge, so don't expect any planning. If the ingredients seem random, it's because they are. So here you have my week 1 creation ^_^
Grilled Portobello Mushrooms with Garlic and Rosemary Chips
THIS WAS ALL DEEPL Y SATISFYING.
- Crush a clove of garlic per mushroom into a flat dish filled with rather many glugs of olive oil.
- Roughly remove the pines of one rosemary twig and smash about a bit to get the oils out, then mix into the oil.
- Cut the stems off the mushrooms (but don't thow them away!). Brush the mushrooms with the oil on the gill side and lay face down before brushing the topside too.
- Chuck the stems back in the dish to marinate and cover with clingfilm, leave to sit somewhere cool whilst you go and defragment your computer and look at youth hostels in Japan for a few hours :)
- Come back and turn on the grill to a high temperature.
- Feeling active? Wash, peel and cut potatoes into wedges. Par boil for a few mins.
- Feeling like me? Get some frozen chips XD
- The mushrooms should have soaked up a lot of the oil (or you just put less in then you remember....). Take the mushrooms out and pour all the lovely garlic, rosemary and any remaining oil on the chips and toss to coat evenly.
- If using real potatoes, extra oil can be added, frozen oven chips need none (so hopefully, it was soaked into the 'shrooms).
- Grill the chips for 5 minutes, then remove from oven and turn about. Add mushrooms gill side up.
- Grill for 3 more mins, turn mushrooms over and grill for 2 mins.
- If you used real potatoes, time for you to guess how long stuff works out for and you probably meed to actually roast them first....
- Whilst all that was cooking - you should have had time to make a salad and vegetable sticks to eat with hummus on the side!
- My salad - 1 cubed avocado, 3 inches of diced cucumber, couple of chopped sun dried tomatoes and a spring onion. Yay!
(EVEN MY MOTHER APROVED, BUT SHE DID EAT ROAST BEEF WITH IT TOO XD)
I'M SCHTUFFED 8D